Wednesday, January 23, 2008

bronchitis and I

The whole time while I was working on the ward I was sicknessproof, even when I came in contact with patients with pneumonia, tuberculosis, herpes/ chicken pox (I've never had chicken pox as a child), fungal infections etc etc...I was never down with a flu in winter, never had a sick day.


And, ironically, it's finally happened during my holidays... (when I'm out of the hospital)


Today's the 5th day of my self diagnosed bronchitis. It all began with an upper respiratory tract infection ( i.e sore throat, lethargy, muscle ache etc), consequently my ear was blocked (I've always had recurrent ear infection, that's another long story), then I started coughing (vigorously) out yucky phlegm, having shortness of breath, chest tightness/chest pain...





The diagram above is the result of boredom, I can't do much at all with this bronchitis. Last week I could still run 15km at my usual pace ; yesterday I gotta stop after 5km and coughed uncontrollably; today I was out of puff even with climbing the stairs.


This morning I woke up from a night mare where I was sitting up on a hospital bed. My consultant Dr B came as he did his ward round ( the question is, why was my consultant in my dream?), with exactly the same tone when he told a patient that she's got asthma, he went like 'I've had a bad news for you, you have got severe asthma and have to stay on lifelong medication.'


Then instantaneously someone handed me a bag of medicines, the exact types of medicines that I see everyday in the patients' drawers...I was horrified....


Too much of working in the hospital...


I've gotta sit for IELTS (an English test, for the purpose of visa application) this Saturday. With my deaf ear and continuous hacking cough, I think I'll look very funny in the listening and speaking session :)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, hope you're feeling better.

PS: No, this is not an acceptable excuse to not turn up at the gathering! ;p

;)

Anonymous said...

HEY GET WELL SOON!

and all the best in yr IELTS la.

know will do well :)

R said...

Wow you run 15km weekly??? ...

siew wai said...

:)I run 3 times a week, each time 10-12 km