Sunday, August 27, 2006

night shift

I just came back from a 10 hr shift over saturday night, it was a freezing night spent on the ambulance and with the paramedics.

We received one of the cases from a nursing home. An old chinese lady had a stroke weeks ago that caused brain damage and muscle paralysis to her. She fell from bed , that's why the care taker called the ambulance.

Somehow I felt very compassionate toward her. She is very very old and tiny, her whole body was wasting away, and she doesnt understand english at all.

When we were waiting for the hospital staff to arrange a bed for her on arrival, I couldnt describe the feeling I felt toward her. She had a stroke and was paralysed, she could not talk nor understand English, and she was dumped in the nursing home. My heart ached.

I only had 10 mins before the ambulance left. I quickly touched her shoulder, gently rubbed her hair, grabbed her hand and looked into her eyes, I smiled, and asked her in Mandarin,

'Do you know Yesu (Jesus)?'

She understood me and opened her eyes. I told her not to worry, God loves her, she is precious in God's eyes, she has a purpose in life which is to know God. I asked her if she wanted to accept Jesus as her Lord and Saviour.

She opened her mouth but all she could produce was just 'Ahh...arrhhh...' because her stroke has damaged her speech area in the brain.

Time was running out and I could not understand her 'ahhh...ahhh', I asked God and myself anxiously, does she wanna believe??????? does she understand me?

In that few minutes, I taught her if she wanna accept Jesus, just confess in her heart and God will know. I repeated the prayer 4 times just in case she didnt get it.

Then I asked her, if you wanna believe in Jesus, gimme a smile. although it was subtle due to paralysis to the face, BUT SHE SMILED! I almost cried.

I do not know whether she really believed or not, I dont know if she was already a believer in the first place, but today I felt God's love overflowing through me. I know God looks from heaven, when He sees this very very old woman, He sees a lil baby girl that should belong to Him.

All lives are precious, all souls need salvation.

7 comments:

KongY said...

A perfect story...

jan said...

please do keep posting stories like that...gives us encouragement and hope for our own loved ones :-)

And your med life is very interesting...hehee

jan

Anonymous said...

Praise God! Praise God!!

siew wai said...

praise God for everything. I start to enjoy my med life now because i realise it is such a great opportunity to reach out to ppl esp when they are sick, they are more vulnerable. hehe

KongY said...

Indeed, never ever dare to stop blogging if not I'll make a point to go to your place weekly to hear stories =P

But on a serious note, if we really sit down and reflect where He had placed us - in our occupations - don't you just feel blessed? Honestly.

I do sit down and think some times how we can share ~ medics are the more apparent one, dentist well i guess when the patient's mouth are clamped you can go on and on and they are kinda forced to listen..hehe.... business... hmmm still thinking about it!

You know sister, one year ago I did not really recognize your face what even your name. One year later, now - I see you as His mighty zealot in the harvest field.

Thank you sister. Not just because of this story ~ but the challenge you put forth to each of us. It is easy to sit back and to cheer others onwards - but I look at you as a challenge for all of us. Go out, and make a difference every single day.

Ming said...

When are you going to watch that DVD???? : )

siew wai said...

-> ming:
hehe, when i m very depressed and wanna give up on my med career then the dvd will be my last resort, must optimise the effect marrrr