Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Am I becoming a carnivore?

This is a story about the battle between a herbivore and carnivore.
(herbivore= an animal that eats grass and other plants; carnivore=an animal that eats meat)

There was one day in 1997 after seeing a cockroach killed by my mom and lying flat on the floor, I started to feel disgusted about meat eating (I know it doesn't relate to the death of the cockroach). Then a very strong conviction grew in my heart, OK, I AM GONNA STOP EATING MEAT AT ALL. The killing of animals for the indulgance of human is very cruel.

As you know, I am a person with strong determination. I really did what I said. Therefore for 6 months in 1997 I went on without any kind of meat in my diet. Only vege and bean stuff. My mom of course had big headache because it means she had to specifically prepare another kind of dinner for me (hehe, yeah I got all her attention). When I went for chicken rice, I literally only ordered the chicken RICE, without the chicken...

But the complications came later where I felt dizzy all the time and I fainted while I played sports. And my monthly period stopped for 8 months.Then I decided to start taking FISH.

My ex boyfriend was the culprit, one day he ordered a very expensive fish meal for me. Of course I had to eat the fish. After 6 months of pure vege diet, the fish tasted very funny and I almost threw up. To cut the long story short, I started eating fish and that has been the main source of nutrients in my diet. Mom was very happy and she cooked fish for me almost everyday.Steamed fish,fried fish, stirr fried fish,sweet n sour fish,ginger fish,fish soup, fish cakes, fish balls etc.

I have a very good theory that justifies my fish (or seafood) eating diet. You see, the fish is the only kind of animal that doesn't scream when it is slaughtered. It jumps up and down, so it is happy and dancing... =)

This fish+vege diet went on for almost 10 years. Amazingly I had never been tempted to eat KFC at all..I also successfully exerted my influence on my family, we always had 3-4 non meat dishes and 1-2 fish dish on the dinner table. NO meat. My brother told me, while I was away in Australia, he enjoyed the dinner very much because mom started to make more meat dishes hahaha..

So, what happened now was, just a few weeks ago, I 'accidentally' ate a piece of roast duck. And I could't believe, it was ........so.....YUMMY...breathtakingly yummy...I finished the whole serving of 1/4 roast duck by myself :P
But the consequence of resuming meat eating was stomachache and diarrhea for days.

Then a week later I had KFC. That was my FIRST piece of KFC after 10 years. I was so deprived of KFC in the past that I ate the whole thing except for the bone. The skin was the best part and it was really fingers-licking good. My friends said KFC should get me to be their commercial model.
But again, I had days of stomach ache and diarrhea after that...

Now there is a war in my bowels. The vege disgesting enzyme is losing their stronghold, the meat digesting enzyme is invading and taking their ground. ( This is not scientific at all, please don't take it too seriously)

My dad is so hilarious, in the letter he wrote : Don't eat so much meat, it is not healthy.And my sister calls me a CARNIVORE. haha I think it was funny because I have only had 3 meat meals.And I still can't stand the pork and beef...yet.

So, it has been an interesting journey of being a herbivore for 10 years.

I do not hold on to that conviction anymore after knowing the Old Testament in the Bible. It was mind blowing when I read for the first time how the ppl slaughtered lambs and goats etc . But it sort of prepared me to accept the fact that God created animals for us to eat and enjoy.

And right now I am again having stomachache and diarrhea because I just had my 2nd piece of KFC this afternoon hehe :) Maybe I should stop taking meat...vege is good, it has never given me any problem.

3 comments:

siew wai said...

i can only say that the piece of roast duck looked like vege, hehehe...a piece of eggplant cooked in dark soy sauce would look like a piece of roast duck, correct? :)
love u too

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA!!! oh dear siew wai!!!! that is just so funny. Justin and I were laughing our heads off on your accidental roast-duck eating. Lols. But meat is quite delicious.. yum yum.

*hugs*

siew wai said...

hehehe...i know you believed me, didnt u? ;)