Thursday, February 01, 2007

back to work

My 1st night of the 2nd week has gone half way now. Finally I had a bit of luxurious spare time to sit down and sip some coffee. Surprisingly I have been busy although the work load itself has not been that heavy. I think until now I have used up 50% of my energy trying to fit in again and get back the momentum to work at night..you know, 7 days of break is a long break.

The system here is that night shift doctors work 7 nights in a row , 12 hrs per shift, and get the next 7 days off. At this stage I love night shifts for a few reasons. Working on night shifts makes me feel that I am a 'real' doctor. Not that I wasn't one if I did not work at night, but because at night there are only a minimal number of staff on board, so I work alone and make independent decisions for the patients. And yet the best part is, it is not my responsibility as a night intern to follow up on any patient, therefore if anyone becomes unwell overnight the nurses will call me , I will treat them accordingly, and hand them back to the home team in the morning. It is like baby sitting, the parents go off and leave the baby with me, I play with the baby, and hand it back to them later. No hassles, no responsibility after that :)

And I like the 7 days off :) The only setback is that I probably need the first 2 out of 7 days to adjust my bioclock back to normal, my body picks up on the 4th day, and thereafter I have an absolutely normal lifestyle until the 7th day. Bed time is 12pm and get up at 8am. That's y it is hard to get back to work. Such as now, it has long passed my bedtime. I will probably need 2-3 nights to get used to this.

And this cycle will go on and on and on....

Maybe I should take a short nap now.......zzz.... later

No comments: