Saturday, February 17, 2007

guess what i was holding in my hands? eeww

Yesterday was the 2nd night of my 3rd week at work. I saw the most shocking self inflicted injury, I have never seen that and I bet I will never see that anymore...and the whole hospital was talking about it. Hold your breath here...


A man was sent to the emergency department with extensive bleeding. What happened to him? He heard some voices in his mind commanding him to CHOP OFF HIS TESTES, or 'they' would kill his family. Out of his love for the family, he took a knife and cut open his scrotums (the bag of skin that covers the testes), pulled out both of his testes, and chop them off from his body........


He was very tough, he did not even complain of any pain at all, even though the blood was gushing out like crazy, and his blood pressure dropped instantenously because of the big blood loss.


The whole emergency department was turned upside down because of this guy. We were all busy rescusitating him.


Guess what I was doing? I had to hold his 2 testes in my hands and rinse them with normal saline, because we attempted to preserve that, just in case there might be a chance of reconnecting them to the body. The testes were white coloured, soft, slimy and rolling like 2 hard boiled eggs in my hands. Hmm...I felt as if I was a clown juggling 2 balls in my hands,what an experience. I almost puked.


Then he was sent to the theatre for emergency operation. I went with him, holding the bucket of ice with his testes in it. We did not put the testes back because they were dead after such a long time. We stopped his bleeding and sewed up the scrotum, with no substance in it anymore.


Sigh, I felt really sad for this man. He has some mental illness, and I wonder how his children would take it, because they were the ones who found him, sent him and his testes in, and stayed till the operation was finished. :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

crazy!
-emowoman