Monday, April 07, 2008

27- part 2, for papa and mama

Mom is so cute! She rang me on my bday's eve, precisely 30 minutes before the clock turned 12am. But at that moment I was actually just about to blow the candles(my best mate threw me a surprise party). Mom greeted me happy bday, then dad took over the phone desperately; then there was a commotion behind sounded like my brother's and his gf's greetings.



I had a very funny thought flashing thru my mind when I heard my mom's greeting. Why do mothers greet their children on their birthdays? As if it is to say ' Hello my little friend, welcome to the world again!' ...or to make it sound like a gentle reminder that she went thru the pain to bring her babies to the world...



Just when I was thinking about this , mom on the other side of the phone left a witty remark just before she hang up. 'And hey, don't forget I gave birth to you on this day!'



hahahhaha....she is so cute.



On my 26th birthday she sent me a very beautiful birthday card, said she loved me.





25th, she posted me a platinum necklace with a cross, with a scribbled note (ok, she is a very busy business woman), 'I hope you will wear it daily and may God keep and bless you' ...that was one of the best presents I've had. For she has not believed in Christ, yet.





24th, a very beautiful birthday card, a cash note in a red envelop :)



23rd, ...can't remember...



Then dated backwards were the ages of rebellion for me and endless nights of heartaches for her. That was before I met God and changed by HIM. I wonder, on those birthdays, has she ever regretted bearing me?





What's one of the most memorable presents? It was on my 9th birthday. I still remember she came home from work and handed me a very very huge (huge to me back then) present. It was like my dream came true. A quilt printed with colourful cartoons!!! I wanted one very badly after being influenced by the TV series shot in countries with winter seasons. I thought it would be very cool to snuggle into a thick quilt.


Like many baby boomers back then, mom and dad started off a family without anything. She told us stories of when we were very small, how she lived on just a slice of bread/just some steamed rice and a mug of coffee for lunch, until she passed out at work because of malnutrition. Her colleagues had chicken rice at lunch , she could only enjoy that yummy stuff with a glance.


A quilt did not come cheap back then, esp in a tropical country. She got it for me because I wanted it. I wonder how many servings of chicken rice she could have bought with that money.


And there she was squashed like sardines in the rush hour bus, carrying the very bulky present, coming home to celebrate my birthday.


I did not end up using the quilt for more than 2 nights because it was just too inappropriate for that kind of climate. I 'found' it in the store room a few years ago and brought it to Australia with me. It has been 'with' me for 17 years and till now it is still on my bed. I must sniff it and hug it to sleep every night. No one is allowed to touch it.








Did mom have her own dreams? Mom was still young when she bore us, what would she have done if she had not borne us? I am 27 and I feel my life has just begun, and there are many dreams I want fulfilled. What was she thinking when she was 27?

I could see in the photos how pretty and hot she was before she bore us. She wore this dress at 25, I doubt if I could even fit myself into it without breaking any thread. (I 'found' it in the store room too, and brought it to Australia) ...


It's all for us that she made many many sacrifices.

I thank God from the bottom of my heart for saving me, transforming me, and showing me the way to honour my parents.

This year I didn't get any present from her, but giving me this birthday is already the greatest gift.

1 comment:

rach said...

Praise God for your salvation! Your family will be saved. Continue to be a good living testimony to your family, SW. =)