Saturday, June 28, 2008

salt - part 1

I picked up the case note from the tray, saw what the triage nurse typed, 'Alcohol intoxication', I was like...oh another alcoholic, another psychiatric patient.




Then I went to her cubicle, and began to smell a strong stench of alcohol when I went closer to it.



Just like any other patients that I see day in and day out in the area where I work . She didnt smell good. No teeth. Unkempt. Messy. Her nail polish was falling off. I caught a glimpse of her belongings lying on the ground, just a very dirty Coles shopping bag and a very old jacket.





'Hi...I am Siew Wai one of the doctors here...how can I help you today...''




She told me about her medical problems...then I went on to ask about her drinking...then she began to sob uncontrollably...she told me about her abusive partner...about her broken life, about her giving up on herself because she did not know how to get out of her situation.




My heart ached.



Then you probably know what I would do.



Then the Gospel was preached, tears were flowing, message was understood, and the sinner's prayer was said. I do not know how much it meant to her. I just knew I was following the Spirit. Didn't I pray to be used to bind the broken hearted and set the captive free?


She continued to sob, and told me no one had ever spoken to her like this before. No one wanna listen to her. No one cared about her.


I grabbed her address, and said I would pick her up from her home on Sunday. I wanna bring her to my church. She nodded her head eagerly , 'yes yes, please, I needed that. '


So, tomorrow....right after my night shift, I will venture into this area that's unknown to me, and pick her up , bring her to God's house. I know it is risky, to an extreme extent, it might be life threatening, because this area where she lives in, is infamous to be one of the MOST dangerous areas in South Australia. The people of lowest socioeconomic status live there, the drug addicts live there, the robbers, the psychotic, the criminals... they live there. Recently a shocking homicidal crime was uncovered there.


And she lives with her abusive partner.


I am gonna go out of my car, go to her doorstep, and ring the bell (she doesnt have a landline or mobile phone).


It sounds a bit horrifying. But I will go. I don't wanna be a comfortable Christian. Christ has saved my life, what do I have to lose?


So, I was joking with my friends, if they didnt hear from me , or if they didnt see me at 9am in church tomorrow, please ring the police hehhehe...


What will happen tomorrow in church? I just pray that the Spirit will touch this broken soul...




1 comment:

Jinfei said...

bring someone along with you, pls..?