Monday, April 30, 2007

I had holy communion with my patient =)

This actually happened a while ago. There was one Sunday when I couldnt attend church service because I was in the hospital. I was called to see a patient who was very very sick. I went in, did my usual jobs, told the nurses what I wanted for this patient, blah blah blah and was prepared to leave the room.

Just was I was going to leave I heard the patient's daughter saying, 'Dad, later when the doctor and nurses have left, we will have holy communion.'

My heart leaped with joy and excitement as I overheard this. I smiled and delibrately slowed down my pace, until all the nurses have left the room. Then I asked the daughter (she is a chaplain) if I could join them for holy communion. Of course she was very surprised but gladly invited me.

I remember she said to the patient 'Dad, we are very privileged to have your doctor joining us for the communion.'
Then we laid hands on the patient and prayed and broke the bread and ate.

I did not actually feel it was their privilege to have a doctor joining them in communion. Deep down in my heart I felt so grateful for this opportunity and I thought it was my privilege to break bread with them. How many believers have the chance to have holy communion beside the hospital bed? How many of us will get to see the peace of God in terminally ill patients?

Infact, that was my greatest privilege because the next day that patient passed away. He was a very pleasant old man, all the staff said they had never seen anyone so at peace. He was 91 years old when he died. He had probably been through so many ceremonies of holy communion in his life, but at the end of his life on earth, he had his last holy communion with a stranger like me. I think it was my privilege to share the Lord's supper with him just before he died.

When I certified his death, I recalled what his daughter told him, 'Dad, you will be alright very soon, you will see the Lord and mom in heaven, and soon you will see me.'
I jumped in and jokingly said ,' and later you will also see me there.'

For some reason I look fwd to meeting him in heaven. In the world we were strangers, but in the Lord we shared His supper. Whatever we bind on earth will be bound in heaven, as per the Scripture. Amen :)

2 comments:

bxguan said...

hey hey...i'm bao xing ar...erm...jz to clarify...i do remember ur name..but u look different with ur hair down ahaha....but anywayz..i always expected u 2 look older....heh

siew wai said...

sigh bao xing ah bao xing...so u expected me to look older? which means i actually look like a kid to u that day? is that y u dun remember me? :)