Thursday, March 10, 2011

Who is the real enemy here?...And where is the promised land?

I have been in a strained relationship with someone in the last 1-2 years (by the way, that person is certainly not my husband). It is like a thorn in my flesh and I am sure that person sees me as a thorn too. It is very painful. I can't and I am not allowed to get rid of that thorn. Both of us have been limping with this thorn and we can't walk straight in our lives.

How painful and disruptive it has been! I know I am not a perfect person or I would not have needed my Saviour. In my pursuit of being more and more like Christ, I prayed many times to ask God to take this pain away from me, and to give me the strength and His kind of love to love this person.


As I humbled myself before God, He dropped this in my mind, 'Why do I allow the past hurt and pain determined how I live in future?'


Then my eyes were suddenly opened, and revelations after revelations in the forms of God's Word came gushing out.


Two nights ago at church Ps Jon was preaching about Numbers 13. The Lord told Moses to send out His people to explore the promised land that flowed with honey and milk, the Lord has given the land to His people. But the people thought it was too difficult and forgot that the Lord has ALREADY given that land to them, they just needed to take possession of it. They would rather go back to Egypt and died!

Am I not like the rebellious Israelites?

I suddenly realised my relationship with that person is like the promised land in the scripture. God has already given it to me, all I need to do is to go forward and take it. But I became scared at the sight of the past hurt and failure. I forgot that the Lord has won this battle for me. But in my own eyes and understanding, I thought it was too difficult, so I opted for an out. I would rather go back to my Egypt and died there.

And again, the Lord's Word became alive. I am reminded that I am fighting a battle aimlessly. My true enemy is not 'that person', my true enemy is the devil who has come to steal , kill and destroy.

But he forgot his place. He is the ultimate loser. My Lord Jesus has won the battle for me, He has conquered sin and death! He has also given that victory to me and that person, so both of us should be the winners.

How great is our God!

1 comment:

Phuiyan said...

Hi siew wai :) I'm Phui Yan, remember me? Was just thinking about you and decided to come to your blog :) And here I was, reading your latest entry, it struck me that you were actually going through the exact same thing I'm going through right now and it's so true that the devil only comes to steal, kill and destroy.

Praise the Lord that He has been guiding me every step in going through this. So many nights I cried asking where is my Father when I needed Him now and my thoughts were so confused but God revealed to me (through this online daily devotional subscription by Joseph Prince) and said, Give attention to His words and incline our ears to His sayings and keep them in our hearts for they are life to those who find them and health to all their flesh.-(Provers 4:20-22)

But I'm so happy to see you being sensitive to His spirit and allowed Him to guide you through this! I hope all is well at your end :) God bless :)