Monday, September 03, 2007

but why would this happen?

Working in ED has been fun and fulfilling. For some unknown reason, and out of my own choice, I have been seeing paediatric patients in my last few shifts, these little creatures comprised 50-70% of my patient list. Perhaps it is a sign from God? Does He want me to be a paediatrician? Sigh I hope not.


Today there was this 8 month old baby who was super cute, came in after an injury to her head. What so special about this baby is her smile. As if she had been intoxicated with happy gas, nothing seemed to be able to stop her from laughing. She knew no pain in her head, neither did she care about her very dirty and stinky clothes and nappy. Obviously she has not been well looked after by her mom.


From the story told by her mom, I smelt a very small suspicion of child abuse/neglect in it. As I went through the old notes of her last admission to the hospital, I could not help but wept silently. ( not wept wept, but u know, I became teary).


There was a previous notification of child abuse made by a social worker who visited her home. The story goes roughly like this :


' There were cockroaches all over the place, many were dropping from the ceiling.. a few mice running around the house. Their puppy was not toilet trained, there was dog poo and urine on the bed, couch, dining area...There was nothing in the kitchen, only some dry noodles and cereals and unwashed dishes which were there since my last visit...the children (5 of them) were eating uncooked dry noodles and cereal with no milk...The children were wearing the same clothes since my last visit a few days ago...I saw a LIVE cockroach crawling out of the baby's vagina when her mom changed the nappy...the children did not talk, but were hitting/biting each other even myself, but the parents did not correct them.'


........... I was just stunned after reading that report. I know this is not the worst home situation in the world, but it shocked me that it happened in Australia. My heart was very burdened and broken, esp after I saw how gorgeous that baby gal was. My eyes were wet.


For one second I asked God why did this happen even though I know I am too small and unworthy to ask Him this question. Why have I had 50 pairs of shoes and plenty of clothes while this baby gal and her siblings had to wear the unwashed clothes for 1 week? I have had the opportunity to complete my medical degree, what about this child? Would she even go to school in 5 years?



As a professional doctor, I should not show any personal emotion for any patient. But as a Christian, I could not help but be moved in my heart for the unfortunate ones, and all the more I wanna preach the Gospel, all the more I wanna go out there, all the more I wanna see the world changed.


There are billions of ppl out there who are suffering both physical and spiritual poverty, if only all of us could be the ppl that God wants us to be, I believe we will see God's Kingdom on earth. I'm convicted about this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest SWW, it is an unfortunate fact of life that there will always be people out there who aren't born into circumstances that allow them a happy and healthy upbringing.
That child is indeed unfortunate. My heart ached for her too when I read that report.
As the treating doctor, there is no harm in showing emotions. Doctors are human too- to show compassion to your patients make you a better practioner. We, as MOs, compared to many others, are better equipped to affect other people's lives- And as a Christian, I think you are even better equipped to change others, through your faith, belief, trust in God, and compassion.

Do not be too saddened, but be strong- you have the qualities to make a difference to those you come in contact with- socially, and professionally. I know this for a fact.